The annual dataset has recently been reclassified from the "special trade system" to the "general trade system" (HS) and its start date moved from 1971 to 2001. Last year, the monthly dataset was reclassified, and starts at January 1981 (see related article). Annual values are the sum of the monthly values.
To streamline Data Buffet, we have archived the annual series by marking their metadata and catalog entries as "discontinued." Figures are 100 million new Taiwan dollars (100 Mil. TWD) or millions of U.S. dollars (Mil. USD).
The series reside in the historical catalog (Taiwan » Trade » Foreign Trade » Annual [DISCONTINUED] » Summary) and include, for example:
- TR$XDUA.ITWN = [DISCONTINUED] Domestic exports, (Mil. USD,)
- TR$MRUA.ITWN = [DISCONTINUED] Re-imports, (Mil. USD)
- TRLTBUA.ITWN = [DISCONTINUED] Trade balance, (100 Mil. TWD)
As a substitute, please use the corresponding monthly series and Data Buffet's frequency conversion tools reside in the historical catalog (Taiwan » Trade » Foreign Trade » Monthly » ... » Summary), such as:
- TRLXDUM.ITWN = Domestic exports, (Mil. USD, NSA)
- TRLMRUM.ITWN = Re-imports, (Mil. USD, NSA)
- TRLTBUM.ITWN = Trade balance, (100 Mil. TWD, NSA)
Because catalog locations are subject to change, the upper-right search box on DataBuffet.com provides a "find in catalog" mode that accepts a mnemonic.
Please be aware that:
- "Trade balance" is typically defined as "exports less imports" or "exports plus imports (-)" (if imports are expressed in negative terms). However, Taiwan defines "trade balance" as the sum of two positive values.
- Chinese-language documentation on the source's site uses local dating (the R.O.C. or "Minguo" calendar). To convert to the Gregorian calendar, add 1911.
- The USD:TWD exchange rate is approximately 1:30.