What are the most common error messages returned by Data Buffet, and how should you respond?
When using Data Buffet (particularly View mode, Basket downloads, and Power Tools spreadsheets) these are the most common error messages you will encounter.
Cookie- and cache-related error conditions:
- Web site access denied
- You are logged out / Return to login screen?
- Error when purchasing a series from the Research Store
- Article not found
Where: DataBuffet.com, Moody's Analytics Research Store, Dismal Scientist, etc.
- You have recently upgraded your subscription (e.g., from Free Lunch to Data Buffet).
- You are using a site license.
- Your browser has cached a stale copy of our site.
How to fix: Clear stale browser cookies; disable browser caching.
- Go to www.economy.com/support.
- Switch to tab "Cookie Info."
- At the bottom, press "Remove Old Moody's Analytics Cookies."
- In your browser, activate "check for new versions of stored pages."
- In Microsoft Internet Explorer 9:
- Tools (gear icon)
- Internet Options
- tab: General
- Browsing History: Settings
- Temporary Internet Files: Every time I visit the webpage
- In other browsers and versions, the controls will vary.
- Exit all browser sessions.
- Return to DataBuffet.com and log in.
Series does not exist
Where: View, Basket, Chart and Map; Basket output; Power Tools spreadsheets.
What it means: The mnemonic does not identify any series.
- There is a typo in the mnemonic.
- There is whitespace in the mnemonic (when using the basket Power Editor).
- You guessed at the mnemonic (based on examples), and missed.
- You used an inapplicable geo list.
- A series by this name did exist, once, but we have subsequently renamed or deleted it.
How to fix:
- Select each series using the catalog, because mnemonics are simply not guessable.
- Sometimes you can pick one exemplar series, then expand your basket using wild cards or a geo list.
- When copying to the basket Power Editor, inspect each line for whitespace after each entry. Is the insert-cursor butted-up against the text, or floating some distance to its right?
- Watch Data Buffet News for Data Change, Data Deletion and Mnemonic Change articles.
Series found: access denied
Where: View mode, Basket output and Power Tools spreadsheets.
What it means: The series exists but is not among your subscriptions.
How to fix:
- Clarify your subscriptions.
- Use LiveHelp! and we can list your subscriptions.
- For specific contents of each package, we will transfer you to Sales Operations or to your Moody's Analytics sales representative.
- Purchase the series from the Research Store (if available).
- Arrange a one-time delivery with your sales rep.
- If your company has an extranet with us, it may include additional products beyond your personal subscriptions.
Series found: database closed
What it means: The series is among your subscriptions, but it's stored in a databank that's currently disconnected. Why? We archive rarely-used series (for example, previous benchmarks and demographics by small area) in specialized databanks, which we disconnect to improve your performance using the popular databanks.
How to fix:
- Use Mnemonic 411 to identify the "databank" containing the series.
- On DataBuffet.com, open menu:Settings » Default Databanks.
- In the list, locate the databank (step 1), and select the checkbox to its left.
Error #2 downloading file
Where: Basket download.
- You specified a custom name for the output file, and it contains an illegal character.
- You're downloading a basket in Microsoft Access format and picked an invalid frequency; only Annual, Quarterly and Monthly will work.
- Something went wrong with our server.
How to fix:
- Check your basket settings.
- Please contact us so our Technology staff can investigate.
Where: When running a basket.
What it means: You pressed "download" twice in quick succession. The output file is open and locked (somewhere between our web server and your desktop), so the new output cannot be written to that name.
How to fix: Change the output filename (Basket » Options » File » File Name).
Error saving recent geos
Where: When using the Geography Wizard to populate baskets, etc.
What it means: You have multi-selected a large number of geos and Data Buffet is unable to add them all to the Recent Geographies list (the symptom depends on server load). It has no impact on the contents of the basket.
How to fix: Clear the Recent Geographies list by using the "trash can" button in the upper-right corner of the dialog box.