The series are reported as one continuous time series consisting of multiple currency changes. Over the history of the series, the specific currencies are:
- Cruzado (BRC) - March 1986 to December 1988
- Cruzado novo (BRN) - January 1989 to March 1990
- Third cruzeiro (BRE) - April 1990 to July 1993
- Cruzeiros real (BRR) - August 1993 to June 1994
- Real (BRL) - July 1994 to present
The source data are labeled as "c.m.u." or "current monetary units." In Data Buffet, we prefer to be specific, and use ISO 4217 alpha-3 currency codes. To document the four breaks, we have:
- Changed the unit-descriptor to "(BRC/.../BRL per m², NSA)"
- In the "source" metadata, added the notation "[Breaks in currency from Jan1989, ..., Jul1994]"
The series resided in the historical catalog (Brazil » Real Estate » Construction Costs) and include, for example, the following:
- HSLCCTUM.IBRA = Real Estate: Construction cost - for Brazil
- HSLCCTUM.IBRA_RO = for Rondonia state
- HSLCCTUM.IBRA_TO = for Tocantins state
Because catalog locations are subject to change, the upper-right search box on DataBuffet.com provides a "find in catalog" mode that accepts a mnemonic.
Please be aware that:
- The currency breaks only occur in the total-cost series. The component material and labor cost series start at July 1994.