National accounts data is published according to international statistical standard, the System of National Accounts 2008 (SNA 2008).
The Production approach includes:
- Current price estimates that are derived using a combination of administrative records (accounting reports provided by the Ministry of Finance), benchmark sample survey data and regular survey data.
- Estimates for state-owned enterprises are derived using data from accounting reports.
- For foreign investment enterprises, the data are derived from annual surveys of FDIs. conducted by the provincial statistical offices.
- Annual establishment survey of private enterprises, joint stock enterprises, and households engaged in production activities in sectors other than agriculture, forestry and fishery is conducted by the GSO.
- For mining and quarrying; electricity, gas, and water the data (for production enterprises) are derived solely from financial records of state owned enterprises.
- For household businesses, data are derived and compiled from statistical surveys applicable to household businesses, and from the survey of household businesses in sectors other than agriculture, forestry, and fishery, which is conducted on the first of October every year.
- For construction, estimates are based on financial returns of FDIs, official financial statements of state-owned enterprises, and through sample surveys of private enterprises and households.
- For other industries, estimates are based on a combination of sample surveys of private enterprises, surveys of cultivation area, productivity, and output, surveys of livestock raising, surveys of fishery production conducted annually by GSO, and from financial records provided by government agencies such as the Ministry of Planning and Investment, Ministry of Finance, and State Bank of Vietnam.
The expenditure approach includes:
- GSO estimates for all components of GDP by type of expenditure.
- Government final consumption expenditure is estimated using final and official administrative data on government expenditure available at the Ministry of Finance. Gross capital formation is estimated using data from state-owned enterprises, from reports of Ministry of Finance (gross capital formation at the administrative sector under the management of the State), FDIs and a sample survey of enterprises and households.
- Private final consumption expenditure is estimated using a combination of data: estimated retail sales turnover; production and use of agricultural products; household living standards survey.
- Data on changes in inventories are derived from administrative records of state-owned enterprises, sample survey of private enterprises and household businesses, and balancing tables of agricultural production and use.