Canada - Building Permits

Canada: Building Permits

Mnemonic HPMT.ICAN
Unit Ths. CAD, SA
Adjustments Seasonally Adjusted
Monthly 4.26 %
Data Sep 2021 10,139,667
Aug 2021 9,725,398

Series Information

Source Statistics Canada
Release Building Permits (CANSIM)
Frequency Monthly
Start Date 1/31/2011
End Date 9/30/2021

Canada: Real Estate

Reference Last Previous Units Frequency
House Price Index Oct 2021 119.42 118.38 Index Dec2016=100, SA Monthly
House Price Index for New Homes Oct 2021 119.6 118.5 Index Dec2016=100, NSA Monthly
House Price Value for Existing Homes Oct 2021 284.84 284.96 Index Jun 2005=100, NSA Monthly
Housing Starts Oct 2021 236.55 249.92 Ths. #, SAAR Monthly
Building Completions 2021 Q3 60,147 60,650 #, NSA Quarterly
Building Permits Sep 2021 10,139,667 9,725,398 Ths. CAD, SA Monthly
Residential Building Permits Sep 2021 24,622 22,598 #, SA Monthly
Dwelling Stocks 2016 15,412,443 # Annual

Release Information

Construction permits, by value and type (use) of building, for the nation and by province or census metropolitan area (CMA). Monthly from January 2011. 

Please note that some discontinued series contain more historical data. Source advises to use caution when comparing these series to their current counterparts due to methodological differences.

The monthly Building Permits Survey conducted by Statistics Canada collects data on the value of permits issued by Canadian municipalities for both residential and non-residential buildings, and the number of residential dwellings authorized. The survey is a census with a cross-sectional design. Data are collected for all units of the target population, therefore no sampling is done. 

  • The Building Permits Survey targets all Canadian municipalities that issue permits. At present, the survey encompasses approximately 2,400 Canadian municipalities, representing 95% of the Canadian population, and all provinces and territories. The source does not adjust figures to represent the remaining 5% not included in the survey. Their construction activities have little impact on the total. 

Yes - Monthly preliminary estimates are provided for the reference month and revised estimates based on late responses are provided for the previous month. The seasonally adjusted data also need to be revised, in part, to reflect revisions identified for the raw data. Thus, with the release of each month of new data, the seasonally adjusted values for the previous month are also revised.

Distributed under license from Statistics Canada: usage subject to an End User License.